About CREC: The Capitol Region Education Council (CREC) serves 35 school districts and 40 facilities in the greater Hartford, CT region. CREC provides children from the academic grades of pre-K to 12th and all socioeconomic levels access to its academic programs and services, assisting approximately 12,000 students each year.
USE OF CARES ACT FUNDS: CREC took advantage of the CARES act to allocate funds to the health and wellbeing of its students from providing PPE, increased janitorial services, and continuously cleaning with Vyv technology.
VYV TECHNOLOGY DEPLOYMENT: Its first phase of deployment focused on a mix of elementary and middle schools where the Vyv technology was deployed through areas designated for its mix use, expectation of high levels of surface contaminants, and student volume. These areas included: bathrooms, nurses’ stations, kitchens and locker rooms.
STUDY OVERVIEW: CREC worked with Vyv to study effectiveness of Vyv antimicrobial LED lights to reduce surface contamination of bacteria in active, high-traffic areas. Many previous studies in labs and in active environments demonstrate effectiveness against bacteria, viruses (including COVID-19), mold, yeasts and fungi.
- Pre-K bathroom was chosen for active environment testing to demonstrate efficacy of Vyv’s antimicrobial technology
- Samples were taken in 3 sites around the bathroom for 10 days prior to installation to generate baseline counts of bioburden on surfaces
- Upper sink, lower sink, and toilet were sampled
- Swabs were used to sample these sites and then processed at Vyv’s in-house microbiology lab
- Vyv antimicrobial technology was installed in the bathroom
- First post-installation time point was 4/5 weeks
- Post-install sampling showed average reduction of 2.4 logs compared to the pre-installation baseline values
- This means there was a 99.6% reduction in surface bioburden with the use of the Vyv light
STUDY RESULTS: Data from a surface contaminant test in one CREC pre-k bathroom determined that with use of the Vyv technology, surface contaminants were reduced by 99.6% resulting in CREC having access to additional grant funding for health and wellness for its students.
* Variability is expected in active environments across time points; factors impacting variability include when sampling occurs compared to when the surfaces were last touched, but surface bioburden should remain low overall
For more on Vyv in schools, read here.